4 Fleet Management Apps to Protect Your People and Vehicles
3 min read
Explore 4 fleet management apps to protect your people and vehicles.
A download could steer your drivers and business to safety.
Your phone buzzes. You answer, and the voice on the other end says something you’ve never wanted to hear.
One of your fleet vehicles has been totaled. No one got injured, but your employee admits to texting and driving.
Thankfully, this is a scenario. Fleet management technology, when combined with documented policies, could help you avoid situations like this one.
Manage Your Fleet With Technology
Before we dive into specific fleet management apps, think about your plan for managing fleet vehicle risks. Do you have one?
Your fleet vehicles are a business cost, but you can’t put a price on employee safety. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 3,450 people were killed in distracted driving accidents in 2016 (the most recent year with available statistics).
It’s easy to install fleet management apps. You generally download them onto the phones of employees who drive company vehicles. These apps then track your employees’ driving habits.
Fleet management apps give you and your staff the power to optimize routes and save money on fuel. This cuts driving time and improves customer service by putting products in clients’ hands much more quickly.
Most fleet management apps offer GPS functionality, which shows a vehicle’s location anytime. This could help you find a stolen vehicle or send roadside assistance in the event of a breakdown or flat tire.
Features of 4 Fleet Management Apps
Below, you’ll find features and links for fleet management apps. We can’t say what will work best for your business, but we hope this information helps you make a decision.
App 1: Arity
- Access to predictive modeling to help reduce accidents and optimize routes.
- Assigns drivers scores based on data.
- Creates reports for comparing driver performance.
- Offers machine learning to measure a driver’s potential impact on claims.
- Sends drivers alerts for dangerous road conditions.
App 2: Fleetio
- Allows you to enter fuel economy metrics.
- Automatically logs odometer data.
- Combines GPS tracking with vehicle maintenance tracking.
- Drivers can perform vehicle inspections using the app.
- Lets you approve and pay for repair orders electronically.
- Sets up service reminders within the app.
- Tracks parts and supplies for service.
App 3: LifeSaver
- Automatically detects driving based on your business hours of operation or a time you define.
- Deploys from the cloud (no manual download needed).
- Driver reporting emails are sent to your management team.
- Driving issues are saved on the fleet portal.
- Locks phone screen when a vehicle reaches 10 miles per hour.
- Sends App Health updates if there’s an issue with the way LifeSaver runs.
- Sends email notifications to drivers who have committed a violation the previous day.
App 4: Zubie
- GPS tracking lets you locate vehicles from a live map.
- Is installed in diagnostics port of vehicle.
- Monitors preventative maintenance needs of vehicle.
- Stores driving data for a year.
- Offers arrive/departure geofences with alerts.
- Tracks hard braking, fuel levels, and rapid acceleration.
Fleet Management Policies
Fleet management apps supply you with crucial data, but you need a strategy to make the information impactful.
First, create ground rules for driving company vehicles. If you need an example, take a look at this Workable company car policy sample. Let your drivers know that you won’t tolerate distracted driving. For extra help, download a free cell phone policy kit from the National Safety Council.
Next, schedule monthly or quarterly reviews with drivers. It’s crucial to correct bad habits and reward good performance in these meetings.
Do you need more protection for your small business fleet? Get in touch with Corkill Insurance to see what a commercial auto policy can do for you.